In the world of sports, fans tend to join the game of creating fantasy teams and winning points for prizes. I decided to jump on the fantasy sport bandwagon, and if there is one thing I learned, it is picking teams based on who you like does not always get you anywhere.
If I could pick a team based on my favorite NASCAR drivers, it probably would not fare me too well when it came to ranks (at least, not yet… one day this team will be on fire). As we get ready to pick our team for Pocono weekend, it had me thinking, if I had a dream team, who would it be?
- Chase Elliott (#24) – As the new driver for the 24 car, Elliott had some pretty big shoes to fill following Jeff Gordon. While he has not had a win in the Cup series just yet, he has had quite a lot of top ten finishes and continues to show how much talent he has. Also – my favorite number is 24, so it was just fate that he would become on of my favorites.
- Ryan Blaney (#21) – This one, I will admit I picked more because of how much I like watching Blaney present himself. His interviews, the podcast (Glass Case of Emotion, check it out!), and how he represents Wood Brothers Racing just makes him someone I wish I could be friends with. Another one who is itching for a Cup win, it is only a matter of time before luck starts to work with him, I know it.
- Martin Truex Jr. (#78) – As a Jersey Girl, I feel like it is necessary to root for Truex Jr. Luckily, his racing does not fail at backing me up with this decision. Truex Jr. continues to prove to be a dominant driver, especially after winning two stages at the AAA400 at Dover this past weekend.
- Kyle Larson (#42) – If you want someone who is really entertaining to watch race, I feel like Larson is a great pick for that. He races hard, and seems to be willing to go for just about anything. Plus, he likes to race dirt tracks too, which are pretty awesome too, so that is another win in my book.
- Kevin Harvick (#4) – Would it be wrong to say one of my favorite things about Harvick is how adorable his son is? Actually scratch that – his whole family is pretty adorable. But that aside, Harvick is a phenomenal racer who also earns us free Bloomin’ Onions at Outback Steakhouse if he finishes in the top ten, everyone benefits from Harvick having a good race!
As I figured out my five… I realized I was about to put drivers who no longer race on my list too. Those included: Bill Elliott, Dale Earnhardt and Jeff Gordon. Also, Alex Bowman because he dominated as a fill-in for Dale Earnhardt Jr. last season. Oh, and my absolute favorite (who sadly is retiring this year) Dale Jr because it was thanks to him that I really ever became a racing fan.